DO WE SELL OURSELVES SHORT?

As I was reading The Cost of Discipleship of Dietrich Bonhoeffer I was touched by his insight into the way we sell ourselves short to things that are worthless. Often to the evils that we give into our momentary. Take for example a student lying to a teacher in the classroom. Whatever be the reason it is to get a momentary relief that he does. Beyond that particular moment, the relief turns out to be one of guilt if ever the boy’s conscience is clear. There is a passage in the Old Testament that is worth remembering in this connection. Esau in his desperation sold his birthright to his younger brother Jacob. He knew not the repercussions of an act done to fill his stomach. “Jacob said, “First sell me your birthright.” Easu said, “I am about to die; of what use is a birthright to me?” (Gen. 25:31) All that stood before him was his hunger. Later, though he resents what he had done, what was done remains done! The Bible is full of examples of those who sold themselves to the immediate, considering them to very important. To this list we could add two more classical examples of King David who sinned against the Lord for lack of self-discipline and Judas Iscariot who betrayed the fountain of life for thirty silver coins!

Two weeks back I realized one of the startling facts for life. I was so glued to my mobile phone that I decided to switch it off and keep it for a couple of days. I did it. I realized that I did not die! This is what I exactly told myself in all honesty, ‘My God, I didn’t die.’ Undue importance given to anything besides God and His mission will tear us down. It will lead us to seek momentary relief or pleasure than true peace that the Lord promised us. This is neither simple nor word-play. First of all, it is not simple because it involves discipline, the process of which is bitter but the fruit of it is sweeter! Secondly, be sure that we give into self-gratification, whether voluntary or situational. Let us not sell ourselves short for anything! Christ has bought us with His precious blood! Giving into what is immediate is to demean the redemption Christ wrought for us all!

Comments

Unknown said…
Very gud Bro. keep exploring God's word in personal life

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragedy of Macebeth

THE EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY OF PAULO FREIRE [IMPLICATIONS FOR SOCIAL TRANSFORMATION]

Swelling Is not Growth