Lovely Lady Dressed in Blue by Mary Dixon Thayer




Lovely Lady dressed in blue
teach me how to pray!God was just your little Boy,
Tell me what to say!
Did you lift Him up, sometimes,
Gently, on your knee?
Did you sing to Him the way
Mother does to me?
Did you hold His hand at night?
Did you ever try
Telling stories of the world?
O! And did He cry?
Do you really think He cares
If I tell Him things–—
Little things that happen? And
Do the Angels’ wings
Make a noise? And can He hear
Me if I speak low?
Does He understand me now?
Tell me - for you know!
Lovely Lady dressed in blue,
Teach me how to pray!
God was just your little Boy.
And you know the way.


Note:

This Poem is taken from The Child On His Knees (pages 24 and 25)
This prayer-poem was popularized in the 1950s by Archbishop Fulton Sheen. I would have listened to this poem being recited by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen number of times in his talks. Every time I heard it I felt so inspired. I hope you would love it too. You can find the same in http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/lady.htm

Comments

anonymous said…
I was introduced to this poem by Bishop Sheen in one of his many sermons or lectures. He quoted it from memory and I always found it very moving and inspirational. I think Bishop Sheen felt the same way about this poem as he quoted it so often.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tragedy of Macebeth

THE EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY OF PAULO FREIRE [IMPLICATIONS FOR SOCIAL TRANSFORMATION]

Swelling Is not Growth